Thursday, April 29, 2010

L is for the Less Fortunate

Living in a dumpster, wearing your only pair of clothes, begging for money, this is how some people in this world live.

On Monday, April 26, I went to a church to help at a homeless dinner. It was by my dad's office in Kitchener. This was going to be the last homeless dinner until September/October. I was glad that I came to help.

The first thing we did when we got there was set up the beds. The beds were fold-up cots that had been stored on the stage of the church hall. We put on the plastic sheets, the bottom sheet, and then the blankets. After that we put on a pillow and folded the bed back up. Then someone came and took the bed and put it back on the stage for later. Now I know how to make my bed!

After all the beds were done we were assigned our jobs. My friends, my brother, and I were assigned to Fruit and milk duty. At this time we could see the people lining up at the door waiting to come in. Fruit duty was where we would ask each person that came in whether they wanted an apple or an orange, while my brother would ask each person whether they wanted a regular milk or a chocolate milk. I was in charge of the oranges. After our jobs were done we would go and serve food. We were ready for the people.

Time flew by while we waited for the people to be let in. Then the people were let in. The people were all different ages and sizes. Sadly some of the people had noticeable disabilities. Some of them were blindness, lower body problems, and mental problems. I feel very sorry for these people.

People came by taking a fruit and a milk. Oranges and chocolate milk were the most popular of the choices. My friend that was handing out the apples was complaining so we switched seats, making the apples the first fruit that the people saw when they came over. While my friend handing out the regular milk was really, really bored. The amount of people showing up was lessening by the minute, so was the stash of chocolate milk and oranges. Eventually we ran out of chocolate milk, so people could only have regular milk if they wanted any. Then the oranges were gone too. That's when I left to go serve food.

Serving food was fun. We had to serve food in a certain order down the table. We could take 2 plates at a time. I helped serve at my mom's table. I handed out food, then came back to the kitchen to get more food, then I repeated the cycle until my mom's table was done. After that I went to help my friend's mom serve food to her table. I was really enjoying myself.

I was on my second trip to her table when I ran into trouble. I was leaving the kitchen when I walked into a guy and he spilled his coffee on me. It was HOT! Luckily I saved the food from falling and I handed out the food I had. After that I went to the bathroom to put cold water on the burn. My clothes were brown from the coffee so my dad drove me home to change. That was the end to my day.

I am glad for being born into a fortunate family. I am glad that I have a home to return to every night, a school to go to every weekday, and food to eat when I'm hungry. I am very thankful that I am not the kid that I saw at the homeless dinner. He was a young boy that came with his mom and dad. I think I am lucky that I get to be taught every weekday by my friendly teachers. I think that anyone reading this should be thankful for what they have. So next time your dad grounds you from the television remember that these people probably don't have a television or even electricity. Thank you for reading this and remember about these people.

Life Lesson: Be thankful for what you have.

This week I commented on Hannah's Blog

1 comment:

  1. that is very sad and I think I will be thank =ful for what I have

    ReplyDelete